Hi guys, In this tutorial, I will be discussing with you the introduction to Satellite tv guide which will includes the basic knowledge of satellite tv with an appropriates illustrations. You may be wondering how does satellite dish antenna receive signal from the sky and to the receiver. Don’t worry I will get you cover, by the end of this tutorial, you understand how satellite tv work! very interesting.
What is Satellite TV?
according to wikipedia, Satellite TV is a service that delivers television programming in digital form to the viewers or subscribers through the implementation of communication, satellite revolving round the earth and directly to the receiver in their respective homes.
How Does Satellite Dish Works?
The best satellite tv guide for whoever wish to engage in satellite tv installation in the right perspective must know how does satellite tv works. And below are the keywords related to satellite tv guide:
- Programming Source:
- DBS Provider Broadcasting Source Center
- Space Satellite
- Satellite dish
- Satellite tv Receiver
Now lets take these keywords one after the other to explain the basic knowledge of satellite tv guide.
This is the contents of the service provider i.e the contents of the channels like HBO, ESPN, SuperSport, Signal-6, Sport 24HD and so on provided by the service provider like DSTV, TATA Sky, Skysport, Bein Media and So on.
These can be found on their respective satellite such as Eutelsat 36A for DSTV for sub-sahara Africa, Express AMU1 for Asian countries according to lyngsat and south-east Africa, Nilesat 7w For Bein Media, Amos 4w for Yes tv and so on.
- How To Increase Satellite Signal By 10-15% On KU/C-Band Dish
- How To Choose The Best C-Band LNB For Weak Signals
- Satellite TV Guide (An Introduction) & How Satellite TV Work?
- How To Install Satellite TV Dish And Receiver
- Satellite Dish Not Working: Why And How To Fix The Problems
- How To Adjust DStv/DirecTV Satellite Dish To Get Better Signal
DBS Provider Broadcast Center
This is the broadcasting center such as DSTV, TStv, AFA Sport, Champion tv, Multi tv, and so on. This Broadcasting center will collecting progamming source that’s collecting different signal from different source through their respective satellites and accumulate or modify it and rebroadcast the content through their center satellite.
For instance, DSTV or Multichoice receives signal from skysport for their live matches contents through the skysport satellite and modify it by branding, compressed and encrypt the signal before rebroadcast to their respective satellite.
And that’s the reason why Dstv or TATA Sky and other big digital tv service provider encrypt their channels because it cost them huge amount of money to have the rights to the live contents from skysport. To get their money back, the company needs to secure the channels to their subscribers only.
Space Satellite used by DStv is Eutelsat 36B as stated above. TATA Sky used INSAT-4A and GSAT-10 satellite for digital compression and transmission of signal to the satellite. The satellite used by these company is geostationary. It fixed satellite to the earth and geostationary satellite operates as high as 35786km to the earth. The signal is received via strong transponder or frequency which will discuss later on.
Satellite Dish Antenna
The functions of satellite dish is to receive signal transmitted by the satellite as follows:
- Through low noise broadcast frequency (LNBF) Mono plug
- Owned and copyrighted of the service provider
- Dish are available in different sizes
- The longer the distance of the satellite the fastest and stronger the signal received by the viewers or subscribers.
Satellite TV Receiver
The satellite receiver is connected to the satellite dish via coaxial and cable connected to the LNBF on the satellite dish. And it then connect the satellite receiver to the tv via AV or HDMI Port. The main functions of the satellite receiver as following:
- To receive signal, decompress, decrypt, process
- And send the signal in form of digital to the tv. Example of Digital satellite receiver includes Dstv Decoder, Tiger T3000mega, Starsat Extreme receiver e.t.c
Satellite Tv Guide : Types of Satellite Dish
Satellite dish antenna are of two types which as follows:
- Parabolic: The satellite dish antenna usually in curved shape like an egg of an ostrich i.e geo-speherical in shape and the second part is:
- Feed horn: The signal received from the satellite are converge by the parabolic surface on to the feed horn. Note that the bigger the area of parabolic surface of your satellite dish antennae the higher the signal strength.
The Main functions of feed horn as you can see in the picture above are follows:
- Feed horn amplifies radio signal, the signal received from the high frequency is converted to low noise frequency and that’s why feed horn can be regarded as LNB (Low Noise Blockdown) converter.
- It send signal to the satellite receiver.
Satellite TV Guide: Types Of LNB (Low Noise Blockdown)
Normally, Satellite signal can be received via LNB in two ways which as follows:
- C-band : The frequency/transponder of c-band usually in 4digits and the symbol rate usually between 4-5digit using wide band satellite dish antennae and by default LNB frequency is 5150
- KU-band: The frequency/transponder of KU band use 5digits and symbol rate varies from 4-5digit and by default LNB frequency is 10900.
Here is the typical example of satellite dish commonly used for most of the satellite tv installation across the world below:
I hope you gain one thing or the other from this tutorial. If someone ask you that how does satellite tv work? then, you can refer to my post. I hope you enjoying it and if have ideas to share with us don’t forget to contact us or leave comment below. And don’t forget to share it with your friends or on social media.